Sunday, January 18, 2009

Shoes or Toe Clips

Cleats or Toe Clips?

Shimano shoes with Look cleats (shown lower-left) work best for me in spin class. Since I am a cyclist, I use the same shoes that I use on my road bike.

This type of cleat offers more of a platform and stability during pedaling. I'm able to pull up on the pedal during a pedal stroke. (You'll find these useful when doing hills) Pulling up and trying to keep a good form is very important.

For the beginner, this may take some getting accustomed too.
Being locked into the pedals may be a bit scary at first.
The first time you
may be concerned about the "Float" (Float is when your shoes move left to right) when the cleats are locked into the pedal.
After a few classes you'll have it down.


Straps are fine, if you prefer not to buy any gear.
The straps are usually on the spin bikes at the gym or located in a box near the bikes.

The pedal straps are fastened to a plastic plate that attaches to
the pedal. The photo on the left is just an example of a pedal strap.

No comments:

Post a Comment